Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Low Sodium: Take Three, Four, Five...

Oh, guys. I have been cooking a LOT. I like it :) Mostly. I've made dinners, breads, cookies, and there's so much more I can't wait to try!

Dijon chicken (based on this recipe).

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
dijon mustard
lemon juice
salt
honey

The recipe I based mine off of didn't give specifics, so I made mine up:
6 Tbs. lemon juice
3 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt (we used salt substitute - sodium free!)
[I think] 3 Tbs. honey

Basically, you mix together the ingredients and marinate your chicken and...it's delicious. The recipe says to grill it, but I baked mine for 30 minutes at 350. I served mine with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Sodium count: only whatever is in the mustard.


White Chili (based on this recipe). 

I followed the recipe pretty closely (at least for me). Instead of canned beans, we used fresh beans, which is something I'm new at, so they weren't cooked fully. I used chicken broth from when I cooked the chicken. Also, instead of green chile peppers, I used pepperjack cheese and shredded it into the chili before adding the beans. Oh. I also added sour cream to the mix because I thought it was too spicy.
Maybe I didn't follow the recipe very closely...
This recipe was okay. Ours had too much chicken, not enough broth, and the beans weren't cooked all the way, so it definitely could have been better. I think a lot of it would have been different if we had used canned beans - it would have added to and thickened the broth. The seasoning was great, though, and the cornucopia of leftovers made great....

Made-up Burritos! 

Ingredients:
Leftover chili (see above)
Black beans
Corn
Curry powder
Rice
Sour cream
Tortilla shells

To make the chili leftovers into something my family would eat, I added (thoroughly cooked) black beans, corn, and curry powder (to touch up the taste since adding more starchy types). Then we ate it in tortilla shells with rice, sour cream, salsa, and other taco type toppings. I didn't really want to make this (I wanted minestrone or baked oatmeal but my mom told me to use the leftovers), but I actually really liked it a lot. Sodium count: from chili, sour cream, and tortilla shells. 


That's all for now. More later, concerning herb bread and girl scout cookies.

Love,
Scout

P.S. Sodium count for the chili the way I made it was about 1400 ish (I forget now) for the whole pot. It came from the cheese and sour cream. I shaved a lot off on the sodium count by using no-sodium bouillon and non-canned beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment