Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Southwestern Style Lunch with Sweet Cornbread

I saw this recipe on Bleubird the other day and was so excited to try it. Today when I finally got to it, though, I decided not to follow the recipe and just use the same ingredients. I think what I did is probably pretty similar to Miss James' recipe. The one thing I definitely did differently was the sour cream - I just left mine plain. Don't be frightened by the huge ingredients list - it looks like a complicated recipe, but it was really easy. Except for the beans, it only took about half an hour, and that's because I was still making it up. Anyway, here's how it goes. 


Ingredients: 

  • Bell peppers 
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Cumin powder - 1 tsp. 
  • Curry powder - 1/2 tsp.
  • Salsa - I used about 1/2 cup for two servings. 
  • Black beans - if you're using fresh beans, be sure to start these in advance!
  • Avocado
  • Lemon juice 
  • Shredded cheese - I recommend cheddar or pepperjack for an extra kick
  • Sour cream 
  • Corn bread - I used this recipe for sweet corn bread, and it's my favorite so far. 

First, chop up the peppers, onion, and garlic (or get a spoonful from the jar, if it's not fresh - that's what I did). Toss them in a pan with some olive oil, cumin, and curry powder, cover, and let steam. 



While your veggies are sauteeing, cut up your avocado and toss it in a bowl with some lemon juice to keep it from browning.
Once your veggies are tender, toss in salsa and black beans. Let them sit over the heat for a little while longer to soak in the flavor. 


To put together your meal: Place your [preferably hot] cornbread in a bowl. Toss in your bean/veggie mixture,   top with shredded cheese and let it melt for a minute or two. Then add some chopped avocados and sour cream. Enjoy! 

Love,
Scout

2 comments: