Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cooking With Sodium

A new favorite meal: Lentils and cornbread.

I've been reading a lot of cooking blogs lately and several of them are by vegetarian authors (namely Food Coma). These authors use a lot of lentils it seems, so I decided that I wanted to try them. I didn't have a specific recipe in mind. The one I found sounded too spicy.
So I made one up!

Ingredients:
Lentils
Soybeans
Black beans
Curry powder
Coriander
Ground cumin
Chicken broth 
Onion

I soaked the beans (boiled them for a few minutes and drained them) then put them in a pan with a cup of chicken broth. Next I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed into about an eighth cup of cold water to make sure it was plenty thick. I added some onion, curry powder, cumin, and a tiny bit of coriander to season it (to taste). Then I let it cook for a while while (whoa. that's confusing) I made the cornbread.

I used this recipe for the cornbread - it turned out great!

I pretty much loved the lentils. The only problem was that I didn't quite cook the soybeans long enough. Everything else was fine, but the soybeans were kind of...al dente (as my mom said).

Peace!
Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment