This is how I make almost any tomato product - spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or tomato soup. I just season them differently, and make them thicker or thinner, depending on what I'm making.
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. sugar, to cut down on the acid
- Seasonings (garlic salt, oregano, basil, etc.) use whatever flavors you like
Place all of your ingredients in a blender and blend to desired thickness. Done!
- Pita* bread or sandwich thins
- Tomato sauce
- Pizza toppings -today I used mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. You could also use feta cheese, garlic salt, pepperoni, peppers, onions, mushrooms, leftovers (barbecue chicken, anyone? - Except me. I'm vegetarian), etc.
While you wait for your oven to preheat to 400, place your pita on a piece of foil. Place a couple spoons worth of your sauce onto each pita and top with cheese and other toppings. Bake for about 10 minutes.
If you prefer crispier crust, prebake your pita for five minutes.
* Not to be confused with Peeta.